Sunday 3 November 2013

Batvember 1: Gotham by Gaslight

First week down and to go along with Scarecrow and the Blackgate Prisoners I showed you earlier in the week I've completed 5 lamp posts and a big ass building.

I'm getting perilously close to a full game board of terrain and so rather than discuss how I superglued and sprayed grey paint, I thought I'd do a few 'action shots' if my progress on the project so far.

The Dynamic Duo On Patrol


The building is from Dust Tactics and I picked it up as an impulse buy some months ago. At the moment it's simply sprayed grey on the outside and black on the inside. I'll probably highlight it later.

It's a decent building to look out but with hindsight I'd have spent my money on one of Sarissa Precision's City Block buildings as this one doesn't have floors, doors or even a roof as it comes in the box. It's modular design does offer some flexibility of construction, but not really without buying several sets.

Robin Spots Crooks Down Below


This shot allows you to see my roof. Plastic sheet cut to shape (tricky to achieve as the building isn't all right angles) and sprayed with textured paint then trimmed with thin balsa rods I had knocking about. I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

But Wait...Who's That Inside?


Here's a close up of one of the lamp posts. They're from Westwind and although a bit rough on the casting in places, the price was good enough for me to overlook the obviously lower quality than the official Knight Models ones.

I've not given up on the Batman Miniatures Game and three lamp posts are used in each game, their light making shots easier to make on the dark streets if Gotham.

Villains Plot Nefarious Deeds...


As you can see, I've kept the inside black as the inner walls don't carry any detail, and I don't want to draw attention to them. I am going to mount the building on a base and so there will be flooring eventually.

I decided not to construct a second floor as I couldn't see a way to make it work. I'm going to build and buy a range of furnishing so that this building can function as a range of grander buildings where the roof height seems appropriate: library, museum, bank, etc.

The furnishings in the picture are from Heroquest and will do for now.

Meanwhile At The Chemical Works...


This is terrain I've had knocking about for a while. The warehouse is from Warbases and I've finally done the roof (textured paint again). 

The chemical silo is a piece I built for use with 40k some years ago. It's actually a Pringles tin, a marker pen, a pipe fitting and some bits of a computer. I still thin it looks quite good.

Gordon's Team Moves In...


The warehouse was clearly designed to be a shell on the table with the doors fixed in position. However, with the clever use of magnets my doors are fully functioning!

Miscreants Lurk In The Dark


The floor of the warehouse was done with dolls house paper which would look good if it weren't for the fact that the glue bubbled. It's okay, but I may get round to replacing it.

A Dastardly Ambush!


Firefly and Killer Croc emerge from behind the tower, giving you a better view of it. The green bit at the bottom is actually a pool of sludge. The photo doesn't show it, but it's shiny (simply done with PVA rather than more expensive products).

For the sake of the game, I probably need to add some ladders to this and the  wall of the big building to allow characters without bat ropes the chance to climb them.

That's all for now. I'm quite excited for the rest of the month as I've just procured some more miniatures on eBay which should get here in time to be added to Batvember. Next week I'll have finished my third Blackgate Prisoner and possibly have begun to clean up the streets if Gotham...literally!





3 comments:

  1. I'm nervous of trying to put a roof on my dust tactics building now!

    All looking good, surely between us we could do a pretty dense urban board by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking table and the re-purposed clix and vehicles look .great.

    ReplyDelete